Continuing Offline Flight Problem

I’m having constant problems trying to fly mapping missions while in an area with no internet or cellular service. I’m using an iPadAir (latest one) and flying a P4PV2 all with the latest firmware and updates. The app shows that the offline maps have been downloaded and I do wait 10 to 15 minutes online before shutting down the app and P4 before heading out. When I get to the field I open the DroneDeploy app, turn on the controller and P4 and wait for everything to connect and get GPS. Sometimes the app shows the mission legs when I open it up and sometimes it doesn’t. When it does I can go through the startup checks and the mission shows it uploading to the P4 and completes all the preflight checks. I hit start, the bird fires up and sometimes flies out the first battery and returns home. Following battery change and all the checks it will take off to a 2.5 meter hover and just sit there until I bring it down in sport mode. I reboot everything and the same thing happens. On other occassions everything loads up and when I hit start it goes to the 2.5 meter hover and just sits there until I manually land it. When I can get it to fly the first leg of a multi-battery mission offline and it comes back and won’t go beyond a hover the map is also blurry like the DD app can’t find the caches map which it shows it has. This is becoming very annoying and time consuming. I have deleted and reloaded the app several times, read everything I can find on this subject, tried my iPadPro 10.5 and my spare P4PV2 with no steady success. Can someone point me to the specific procedure to perform an offline flight and also how can I confirm beyond a doubt that my offline maps/mission have been saved? Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi @akchuckj,

The offline maps mode sometimes needs the app to be refreshed or restarted before it will download. This is a known issue that our team is currently working on fixing. Please note that you can have up to 10 offline maps on your account at any time, so it’s a good idea to uncheck the ‘Make Available Offline’ box once you are done working with an offline map - to free up that slot for a new one.

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with flights, where the drone lifts off 2.5m and hovers. Have you reached out to our support team directly about this? If not, please email support@dronedeploy.com. We will want to look over your flight logs and possibly escalate the issue to our engineering team to investigate. Thanks!

1 Like

I had a similar problem without the being out of service. The drone was too close to obstacles to take off it seems. So make sure you’re not standing to close or something else isn’t too close by.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt response Gavin. I only have 5 offline maps on my account at present, in any event, I will go ahead and uncheck the make available offline box on the missions I’m not using before trying this again. I plan on attempting this again tomorrow when no workers are on the construction site (48 acres) and insure that the app is refreshed/restarted while I’m on internet service before I go off grid to the mission site. Should I continue to have this issue I will contact the support team at the email you provided and upload the flight logs for the incomplete attempts. Thanks again. Chuck

1 Like

In my case the P4P takes off to a 2.5 meter hover and just sits there until I go to sport mode and land it to try again so I don’t think obstacles are the issue. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

I had a similar problem without the being out of service. The drone was too close to obstacles to take off it seems. So make sure you’re not standing to close or something else isn’t too close by.

1 Like