Compatibility with the Mavic air 2

Thanks Michael

I’m thinking I’ll try to find a “least expensive” supported drone to keep startup costs down. Once I learn more about the process I’ll feel more comfortable outside of the easy-mode option.

I’m still looking to try to set the MA2 hyperlapse properly, though, and maybe I’ll try the manual upload option if I can. Haven’t had much decent flying weather and regular work has sucked up all available time.

Here’s the supported list for quick review. The Phantom 4 Advanced is probably the most cost effective with a 20mp camera. You can grab a refurb from DJI for about $1k.

1 Like

I I had sent an email to dronedeploy and got this back :
DroneDeploy is planning on making the Mavic Air 2 compatible with our software, however, we do not yet have a timeline to share. At this point in time, our team is waiting for the full SDK to be released by DJI later in the month. There are some known limitations with the SDK as it stands and so we do expect the testing period to be a bit longer than a typical testing period. While we will be supporting this drone in the future, we do not have any set timeline on the release of compatibility at this time.

Guys, this is the answer from Andrew!
Until end of March! So I believe we have to wait!
I’m waiting for it since August 2020.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what DroneDeploy is planning or intends. If the DJI SDK does not open the functions needed for them to be able to create autonomous waypoints then it’s not going to happen.

1 Like

This is right, but just because Go Fly doesn’t currently support waypoints, does it mean that the SDK won’t, as and when it’s released.

Exactly, this has nothing to do with DJI Go.

Hi guys.
Reason why MA2 doesn’t have waypoints missions is Dji need some gap between Air2 and Mavic Pro 2, reason to spend 1k more :smiley:
Also if I remember correctly Pro 2 didn’t have support in the beginning.
I am also looking for Air 2 support by any app, so far I found one, but working only with ios, so I can’t test it.

5 Likes

Pretty sure it is just a software lock, since the Maven app already supports the waypoint mission, don’t see why not for Dronedeploy

The hyperlapse waypoint and the automated flight waypoints are not the same and you’re talking about DJI software having direct control whereas DroneDeploy and other third parties that require the access to the functions to be allowed from DJI.

Yes, but Maven is a third-party app…

If Maven is being used then that’s even further from waypoints as flight apps create them. Maven uses virtual stick movements and is completely run by the device and not stored in the drone which means if you lose communication you’re done. It also means that any lag in the device is going to make the flight lag as well which means it will not be a nice smooth pattern.

Wow, that is actually very informative, thank you! Since Andrew said the support of MA2 is coming either this month or next month, I will just patiently wait for it.

2 Likes

We’ll keep our fingers crossed!

An update. The DJI SDK version that supports Mavic Air 2 has just emerged from BETA within the last 24 hours. We require stable builds of the SDK before adding support. We can now begin implementation. Given the multi-month delay from DJI in providing a stable build the timeline will be delayed. Appreciate the patience!

3 Likes

When dronedeploy support mavic air 2?

2 Likes

I got the email this morning from DJI dev with the release of SDK 4.14 and the Mavic Air 2 shows support in both, but their login service appears to be down so I couldn’t see any more detail. I’ll report back if I can get in.

2 Likes

Okay for some clarity. Is it possible for the Mavic Air 2 to fly by waypoint at all? If not, how will drone deploy support the Mavic Air 2?

Under DJI Fly, no, but it could be that it’s just the Fly software that has it locked down. The key will be to see if waypoint ability is provided within the SDK.

Is it just me or does it seem intentional? Maybe something that separates it from the Pro? It’s interesting that the MA1 had it and they took it away…