Compatibility with the Mavic air 2

Any updates on the mavic air 2??? If not I’ll have to look for another company. Also is there an android software for the app?

1 Like

After looking at the comments. I am wondering what is taking so long to support the mavic air 2 with the mapping software. This is probably thee most popular drone to date and I’m sure more people will purchase this drone hence Drone Deploy cornering the market.

Welp, hope they find a way soon.

1 Like

Development and engineering can take some time. It has more to do with the firmware of the aircraft then the physical components. Since it was just released in May it’s very doubtful that it’s the most popular drone and that there are even many people trying to map with it. The Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro are unquestionably the most popular. That in mind the Mavic 2 Pro had much stronger sales and it took about 4 months to get full compatibility…

1 Like

I wish there would be some more feedback from Dronedeploy on this topic! It would be great to know when we are likely to be able to use this drone, I.e. in a month or are we looking at another 6 months for compatibility?

2 Likes

@Andrew_Fraser Can you give us an inkling of what DroneDeploy is thinking? Is it even an endeavor?

1 Like

DJI hasn’t yet released support over the SDK. As soon as they do we will be eager to support.

2 Likes

Thank you Andrew. I know they are chomping at the bit!

Andrew any update on the mavic air 2 ?

1 Like

At this point it’s not dronedeploy, it’s dji who for some reason hasn’t released the SDK that allows 3rd party integration, it took them 9 months for the mavici mini which is frankly dumb

3 Likes

I sent them an email. This is what I got back.

Dear Client
Thank you for contacting DJI.

The MSDK 4.14 version which supports Mavic Air 2 is planned to be released at middle of December, 2020.

Hopefully our solution can help you.

4 Likes

Добрый день, очень нуждаемся в поддержке mavic air 2! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi there,

We do plan to release support for this drone, however the timeline is unknown. We will, of course, keep our users up to date as soon as support is released! We will make sure to publish our compatibility once we can make sure it works with the best user experience on our Recommended and Supported Drones support site.

Keep an eye on that support document for the latest drones that we support, and feel free to reach out to us at support@dronedeploy.com with any other questions that you may have!

1 Like

Almost 10,000 people have viewed this thread, and there is obviously a high demand for the Mavic Air 2 to be supported. Can you not expedite the process? You guys are literally losing money with every day that the MA2 is not supported. This type of vague answer isn’t helpful at all because it leaves me wondering whether I should invest in a different drone or wait until my drone is supported. An estimate of when compatibility will exist would be nice. All I’m asking for is an estimate, surely you could email someone in the company and at least get an estimate, right?

2 Likes

People will use it. Maybe not companies like the one you work for, but there are a lot of farmers out there looking for cheap solutions for mapping their fields. Maybe you won’t use it, but that doesn’t mean that no one else will.

It would have to be some pretty small fields or they will find out it’s not the right tool. This is good for building specific tasks like Real Estate and Building Inspections although it gets pretty dicey when you need to get close to objects. Crosswinds really do a number on them as well so we had to stay below 15mph winds or it felt like we were just asking for it. We gave it 3 attempts on small projects because that was the objective and it was not acceptable. Make sure you understand what I am saying about the photo build before making assumptions that it will be a good fit for DroneDeploy.

1 Like

You could do a larger field if you use multiple batteries. And yes, it’s obviously not going to get you quality results like a higher-end drone could, but it’s very inexpensive and not all farmers have a large budget. I’ve seen the Mavic Pro get used many times for agriculture jobs, and the Mavic Air 2 is even better than the Mavic Pro, so there is no reason that it shouldn’t be supported.

You can absolutely do anything you want to do with it, but my perspective is that it is going to be very limited and the larger the site that you do the longer it’s going to take because if you want any quality at all you’re going to have to fly much lower than you would with other drones. It would definitely not be recommended to fly high just to get a quick Ortho mosaic. Remember VLOS as well. Give it a run and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you don’t run into a mid-level gust of wind. This post has been out there for seven months and it’s only got 35 responses, some of which are mine and drone deploys so honestly I don’t see it being popular enough for them to make it a priority to integrate. They’ve got too many other issues going on with what they have. Just based on experience and an opinion so take it for what it is.

No I see what you are saying, and you obviously are a lot more experienced than me, but personally I’d like to be able to use my mavic air 2 with drone deploy. I’ll eventually buy a bigger drone, but for now I can’t afford one. If you don’t think that the Mavic Air 2 would work well for mapping, what do you think about the P4 RTK? I was going to invest in one, but the sensor is only a small improvement and it is still a fairly small drone. Do you think that it would do fine in the wind, or should I be looking into buying a Matrice 210 or similar drone?

Personally I wouldn’t waste the money on a P4RTK. They have proven too limiting thanks to DJI’s proprietary nature. You won’t be able to fly it with Drone Deploy and most other third-party apps cannot be installed on the integrated screen. Also the base station that comes with it either requires mobile broadband and a subscription to a corrections service or a known point coordinates that can be manually entered. It cannot be used as a traditional base with any other hardware.

For that cost you could buy a Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 and an Emlid RS2 base and rover. Like you said you could even get a Matrice 210RTK for the cost of the P4RTK. Difference being is that the RTK on the Matrice is just for positioning.

The P4 Pro is a lot more drone than the Mavic A2. Even the Mavic 2 Pro is much better. Just look at the specs and see the weight difference and the diagonal measurements. The P4P camera in particular is much better suited to mapping because it has a global mechanical shutter instead of the rolling shutter on the Mavics.

All this said it really comes down to what your main purpose for using a drone is. If you were just making maps of fields and trying to document crops there is an easy way to do that with high relative accuracy without any RTK. If you are trying to do absolute centimeter accuracy then I would suggest looking into learning the PPK process. It is more accurate than RTK and much more reliable.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve still got a year and a half left in school before I’ll have time to make drone piloting a full-time job, and I haven’t invested in any real equipment yet(other than my computer, and the MA2 that I’m just using to learn how to fly a drone). The main reason that I wanted to be able to use my MA2 with drone deploy was so that I could get acquainted with the software before I get a real drone, but it is fine if I have to wait. Do you mind if I ask what drone you would recommend I start with? I’m looking for a drone that I can mount multiple different cameras to(one at a time). I either want to focus on agriculture and provide farmers with lots of information about their crops or Inspections(for insurance mainly). Really any suggestion would be a great help.