Compass Calibration - Always Needed?

When I fly my DJI Mavic 2 Pro I often get a message to recalibrate my compass when I’m at least 31 miles away from home. I’m curious if other Mavic users here recalibrate when they see this message. I’ve heard that it is not the smartest thing to do when out in the middle of no where because there might not be a strong enough signal.

Are you saying it only happens if you are 31+ miles from home? I know it happens to me somewhat regularly. Frustrating, but I go ahead with it.

I’ve only noticed it if I’m a longer distance from home. Not sure if it’s exactly 31+ miles or not (that number comes from DJI support info). My question is really more related to whether or not people re-calibrate when they see the message. I’ve heard from other DJI users that this isn’t always the best thing to do if you’re in an area with a weak signal.

There is no physical reason that the compass would require recalibration in relation to any distance from where you’ve previously flown.
But for some reason only DJI understands, with some of their drones they make the app ask you to recalibrate if you launch more than some distance or if 30 days since last compass calibration.

But there is no physical reason at all that recalibration would be required.

Whoever suggested that it might not be a good idea if you are “in an area with a weak signal” is very confused and has no idea what they are talking about.
Presumably they were thinking of weak internet data signal?
There’s no signal that has any effect on compass calibration and whether you have internet data or not makes no difference.

I don’t recall the exact source of info about calibration issues in the field, but this article explains some of the causes for those issues… A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors. | DJI Mavic Drone Forum

The first post in that thread is the important one.
It explains exactly what I mentioned above …
That there is no physical reason that your drone’s compass would need recalibration .
And that DJI (for their own unintelligible reason) make some Mavics ask for a completely un-necessary recalibration at some distance from the last flight or 30 days since last compass calibration.

1 Like