Can you use mobile device INSTEAD of Smart Controller?

Hi. Getting ready to purchase first UAV, a Mavic 2 Pro.

IF I purchase it WITH the Smart Controller, am I limited to ONLY using that controller? May I use my mobile device if I choose, depending on intent/app (DroneDeploy)?

Can I use an older controller - one formerly used with a Phantom two years ago?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Hi! Thanks for posting to the forum :slight_smile:

To use DroneDeploy for flight, you would need to purchase a standard Mavic 2 controller with a mobile device mount. Once you’ve paired the new controller with your drone, you’ll ready to fly.

You’ll want to look for the DJI Mavic 2 PRO / Zoom RC1A for use this drone.
Note: This controller is not readily available for sale from DJI and must be bought secondhand.

For more support, please visit our website.

Thank you for your reply. My question was asking if I can fly the drone without a remote or smart controller and simply an app on my phone.

It seems like I need an RC of some kind - which I have… It’s a little frustrating that I have to take my device out if it’s OtterBox case to do so. My device remains unprotected for the course of a whole day.

Do I need cellular or data capabilities to fly the drone? I could utilize a like-new Android device that is not on a mobile plan then and it would make this easy.

Hi there,

Yes, you will absolutely need an RC to fly the drone. Cellular is not required to fly, but DroneDeploy does require cellular to load your map plans unless they are made available offline.

Hope this helps!