Can we get annotation export?

Is there a way to export annotations to use as a layer in QGIS?
Thanks
Tim

3 Likes

It’s not currently available, but a good Feature Request that has come up a few times so I changed the Topic. There is some work in the background with CAD type files so maybe it will turn into something like this.

Thanks for changing the thread and getting it where it can be seen. I think it is a no brainier unless DD is planing on being a competitor with ArcGIS and the like.

Thanks
Tim

I agree, they need to keep in mind the smaller outfits that can’t afford third-party software. they are already working on a connector for Arc GIS that will continue to mature and will probably surpass this functionality, but I have no need for arcgis when qgis is free.

Agree 100%. I’m trying to learn QGIS from scratch…ouch. I can only image the use cases for landscapers and the like. But adding $1000 to the home owners landscape bill to cover the enterprise cost or even the business cost is not realistic…

2 Likes

QGIS is one of those softwares that I wish would be pushed as a major solution in the AEC industry. Not everyone has to know how to edit with it, but it would be the best viewer for CAD and drone data out there. One of the major problems we have with other softwares is individual’s computing horsepower. It is hard to keep everyone in a machine that will run large files really well.

We could take care of all that by getting everyone to use the DroneDeploy WebApp, but people are still leary of using anything on the internet or cloud for some reason. We gain traction everyday, but it’s impossible to fully standardize until 90% of people are using it. Until people get over whatever stigma they have against SaaS and DroneDeploy’s feature set is cleaned up they won’t.

Agreed, I think another big sticking point is the price to play. If your only using it as a tool to add value to your business and not the sole focus of your business it is just not cost effective. I think there is potential to have a different price structure for project by project pricing.

2 Likes

You can export annotations as a Geojson file, which is a vector file that can be brought into qgis: https://www.dronedeploy.com/product/market/vdrzdxpnjucmetwn/

1 Like