Camera image capture fail, Phantom 3 Standard

Image capture failing whilst the mission flight path is working. I run a P3 4K with android (xiaomi 5s)

If i manually press the top right button on the controller then the images are captured. However the gimbal is manually controlled

Tomorrow, Friday, I will upload to YouTube a video of my failed flight this evening. The drone flew a DD route with no problem but camera did not work; I forced it to return to home during the failing flight.

1 Like

Hi Frank, did you resolve the image capture? tried again and the only way to get the image capture is pressing one of the controller buttoms on right top - its manual only!

No, wack 1t, I have had no luck with Drone Deploy as of now. Iā€™m flying Phantom 3 Standard with a Samsung g5S cell phone. There are no buttons (if thatā€™s what you meant) on my P3S controller; there are 2 toggle switches, one on-off switch in the center and the two controller sticks and a camera tilt dial; thatā€™s all there is.

As a matter of fact, yesterday, Friday, I went to fly a complex of lake homes nearby which are for sale and during the flights the P3S camera totally crapped out. It no longer responds to any controller signals on controller nor on cell phone. Iā€™ve re-set and re-installed everything and nothing helps. May have to send it into service center.

Oh, wellā€¦

Same problem. About three weeks ago, I flew one mission of 8.5 acres with no issues, and then attempted a second mission of the lower section of the same site, this part about 10 acres. My start point was about 350 meters away, the mission started okay but I got intermittent video signal from the drone. It kept flying the mission pattern with the signal coming back in when it got close and dropping when it got further away and then I got the message ā€œDrone not responding to capture command. Press camera buttonā€ Having no button to press, I just let it keep flying. When I got back and downloaded my data, NO PICTURES at all from the second mission, not one. Fortunately I didnā€™t really need that part of the site, just flew it in case I might need it later, and I didnā€™t think too much about it until I stumbled across this thread and saw several others with the same issue, but if it was an hour away and important I would have been REALLY upset.

trb426
Please state what kind of mobile device you are using? Android or iOS. Some of us are thinking this camera fail relates to an upgrade of firmware last week or the week before and ANDROID devices only. It would help to know if anyone with iOS is having the same problems. Also, were you able to ever in the past, capture enough data on a DD flight (pictures) to make a 2D or 3D image? And if yes then did the camera fail after an update of DD firmware?

Thanks
Frank,
See my youtube vid below:

Camera fail video of last week: DJI P3S, Samsung G5S cell phone . Camera did record 2 weeks ago with DD but failed to record after DD firmware upgrade. Did that cause the fail? Also, the camera did record up to yesterday with DJI GO but now does not activate at all. Drone still flies. Could it be that the DD upgrade of firmware corrupted the batteries? Have had no crashes and no other problems with the drone for several months prior.
Frank

I am using a Galaxy 5S with Android version 6.0.1. As far as I can tell, my last update to the phone was on January 2, 2017. Coincidentally I flew 2 missions on January 2, also did a 100 Acre, 3 flight survey on Jan 17, and another 4 acres on February 3rd, all without incident, and all used to create 2D and 3D images in both DD and in Pix4D. Just now as I write this I checked for Software updates on my S5 and a new AT&T update is loading. Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure if there was a DJI firmware update prior to the failed mission, but as I said, I flew a successful mission less than 15 minutes before the failed one.
This leads me to believe the theory that the distance between the Home takeoff point and the start point might be the culprit. Or perhaps more like the radio connectivity situation at the start point.
For the first Mission that day the start point was about 200 Meters from the takeoff and I was higher in elevation than most of the flight lines and within visual range. No losses of video occurred during that mission.
For the second mission the start was 350 meters away and screened by some trees, and I was about 80 feet lower than the first flight line - so much more difficult transmission conditions.

But from my flight video here you can see that the entire mission is entirely over my house directly above the take off pointā€¦ and the camera recording failed, so close to RTH point. So I donā€™t believe distance from take off point makes any difference regarding camera fail.

Just my noob opinion on this mysterious subject.

Frank

App failed for me today, even made a video :wink: I have a hunch it was the DJI GO update that caused it.

So, Gary, I watched your video and listened to your explanation of your flight. Why do you believe that the Drone Deploy app. fail was due to a problem with DJI GO app upgrade? What leads you to this conclusion? Did you not press the ā€œhomeā€ icon on the DD app. to return your quad home? Why switch between apps during flight? Do you have an iOS mobile or an Android? Is yours a P4P?

Thanks
Frank

I did not RTL from the app because the home button did not show up, the map stopped updating positions and no images were showing during capture. I did not trust what I was seeing so I switched from F to P and swapped app. It was Android and a P3P. The images were actually captured but I had no way of knowing that until I returned home and looked at the SD card.

I have a tablet that has not been updated so will try that and will strip my phone down of apps and junk in case it was that.

My suggestion that something has changed in the DJI app world is based on logging also failing for DJI Go 4 users recently.

I am still a DD fan just suggesting caution.

Todayā€™s update installed - problem solved!!!

Yep same here, Android, Nexus 5. All good now.

I take that back, went to use it in anger today and it showed the GCS but did not take images. I hope a complete Android fix arrives soon!

Iā€™m having same issue with no image capture using P3 standard. Iā€™ve tried iPhone 6 and different iPads to see if that would change no luck. Even tried to uninstall and reinstall and that didnā€™t work. It worked once and then hasnā€™t since. Also, the camera works perfectly in DJI Go app so I do not think the issue is with the phantom any help finding out the cause would be great since trying to map fields for business is tough when it doesnā€™t work!!

I was trying to use the app offline last week with my P4P and Nvidia Shield. On my first attempt it took 5 pictures and then the camera stopped. The aircraft finished the mission but without taking any more pictures. After that I could not get the app to work at all (never got the airplane icon back). I know itā€™s not my setup because I finished with another serviceā€™s app. Hereā€™s an interesting, and hopefully interesting piece of data. I flew several missions on the competitorā€™s app but one of them gave me a ā€œcamera not activatedā€ error message. I aborted, rebooted everything and tried again and this time it worked. That has happened to me twice in the last month or so. This leads me to believe that the problem is not entirely with the DD app. If thatā€™s the case and they can find the cause they might be able to correct it on the fly (so to speak).

The bigger problem for me was just getting the app to work consistently offline, which is an absolute must for me.

I really think DroneDeploy is a wonderful product and I hope they will get this stuff ironed out soon.

Just did update for DD app and still camera issue not fixed on P3S. Guess its time to look into other software until they get this fixed

Same problem - all latest software and firmware updates were installed on March 8. Flew test DD mission on March 16 with Phantom 3 Pro and iPhone - mission flew successfully but no photos taken. Help!!

I got a notice today in my e-mail from DroneDeploy that my 30 day free subscription to the app. is about to run out. I used it twice early on and it worked well. I have not been able to use DD for over 2 weeks due to camera fail.

Such a shame. It worked well when it worked with P3S and Samsung android phone but after the update of DD firmware the camera failed to record. Still waiting to hear if it will be resolved. Android has by far the majority of the mobile market world wide.