Camera Focus Failed to Update-Causing Return to Home

I have been struggling with an error “Camera Focus Failed to Update” when trying to execute my flights programmed in DroneDeploy. This error comes up once the drone has taken off and has reached its first waypoint. Once the error is shown the drone returns to its home point and lands without capturing any photos. When the sensor is manually triggered on the ground photos are recorded.
For equipment I am using a DJI Matrice 200V2 drone, a MicaSense RedEdge MX sensor, and DroneDeploy on my Samsung Galaxy S6.

So far I have tried several strategies to solve this error that I’ve listed below but I still am getting the error:

• Restarting the drone, remote controller, and the DroneDeploy app
  • Duplicate the mission within DroneDeploy.
  • Creating a new mission all together for the same area
  • Update the firmware for the remote controller, drone, and the sensor
  • Formatting the SD card for the sensor in the Micasense Camera App and the DJI Pilot app
  • Deleting and reinstalling DroneDeploy app on Galaxy
  • Making sure I have >Android 5 installed on my phone
  • Check in DJI go for SD card errors
  • Check that multiple flight mode is enabled in DJI Pilot (They talked about this in the context of DJI
  • Check to make sure exposure and focus are set to auto in my DroneDeploy project
1 Like

Did you resolve it :thinking: i had the same issue

2 Likes

I have the same issue, managed to find a small way around it and set the camera focus in DJI GO 4 app instead of letting it manually do it in drone deploy. Let me know if you find a fix as its driving me insane.

2 Likes

Hi, I also got the same error a few times. But I found a way round it which hasn’t failed me yet. Before take-off in drone deploy, I manually set the camera up and down with the rc about 2x, and leave it facing down just before I hit take-off. Hopefully this can help you too. But I’m still waiting for a proper solution. Thanks. Lemme know how this goes.

1 Like

I have Phantom 4 and today it started to show this error CAMERA FOCUS FAILED UPDATE and it no longer allows the mapping. The Drone returns. I’ve even tried it with Manual focus. Other Mapping apps work as well as Pix4D. In DJI Go4 there is no error or failure. Please sombody can help me plz? Thanks

2 Likes

Has this issue been resolved by DD?
I’m having the same issue with the M100/Zenmuse X5 - see link above titled ‘Still using Matrice 100?!’

1 Like

Hi !
Nothing … We do not receive a update of app since may …

1 Like

Is everyone who’s having this problem using Android? I was getting this error with a Samsung Note 9, and it gives me the same error with a Note 10. My coworker tried the same flight plan using his iphone and everything worked fine. We’re both flying a Mavic 2 Pro.

This error message has been an on going issue with me for about 2 months now. I’ve been monitoring this thread, hoping to find a solution.

1 Like

nope - iPhone XR here

Any body, have solution ?
Because that solution upstairs not working. My mission always RTH because camera failed update focus

2 Likes

I’m also having this issue as well. (Using Mavic 2 Pro) I have done everything i possibly could. For some reason if i turn everything off and restart the entire mission, it will take off and work for the first battery but as soon as i change over batteries and go to resume mission, it shows the ‘camera focus failed to update’ error message and return to home. This is seriously starting to lose me money. Has DroneDeploy done anything??

1 Like

Same issue here.
phantom 4.
very frustrating.
1st point on the flight path after changin batteries either camera focus error nonsense or occasional hangs and does nothing at all.
bug.

3 Likes

Did anyone having this problem every get a resolution?

1 Like

Pretty sure the answer is to temp disable obstacle avoidance, yaw slightly, re-enable obstacle avoidance. Something about bright sunshine making the drone think there’s an obstacle.

I have been experiencing this for the last few days with android or ios using the latest version and a p4 pro v2.

1 Like

Was told by Drone Deploy It looks like there was a bug that came from DJI with the Android 12 operating system.

DJI should be releasing an update to their software at the end of December that will allow us to fix the bug on our Android app.

Although I am running the Android 10 operating system, this might be the issue.

1 Like

Ok. This got me today. Phantom Pro 4 V2.0. Android.

In front of a customer.

The preflight checklist was snagging on the camera. tilting up and down as described above cleared it. launched. completed 1 battery. landed. battery swap. same issue taking off. cleared it. flies to first waypoint errors with focus issue and rtb. Can’t clear it at all.

I’m not going into the embarrassing situation this put me in.

Is there any update?

1 Like

I upgraded to the IOS with an ipad mini and tried it out yesterday, seamed to fix the problem but haven’t done real world test yet. Will let you know if I have any more problems

2 Likes

We are also running on two different P4P V2’s with updated iOS and have never had this issue. We might have gotten lucky and had our iPads updated before a new DD launch and the issue showing up.

I got burned by this on a project site 4 hours away. So first issue is dd won’t even open on Android 12. I happened to have my android tablet and it gives the focus errors. I think it’s time to dump dd as mission planner. We can’t have sets of sudden failures every 6 months.