Camera best practices for volume calcs

I have been making maps successfully (for the most part) for a couple of weeks now. The volume calc function and area function seem to work well.
In an effort to optimize my set-up the following questions have come up.

1. I am using a vertical camera angle for ortho-mapping, seems to work well. Can I combine different camera angles ?

2. Sometimes I will orbit a pile of aggregate and take photos all around at an oblique angle. I will then repeat at different altitude or radius. Is this a good practice ?

3. When creating an orthophoto what is the effect of taking pics from varying altitudes ?

4. When I upload a series of pics I often get a message saying “you are uploading more data, 4GB, that calculated from the flight plan 1GB. This may result in decreased resolution” Why is this ? Seems counter-intuitive.

Any help would be appreciated.

hi @Chris_Caron - if you have not seen it already, this thread may be useful:

@Chris_Caron - I’ve also tried flying with Pix4D with n camera angle of 80Âș with great success. I’ve inquired about flying a pile of aggregate as a ‘point-of-interest’, obtaining many shots, thinking more must be better, but proved myself wrong. It takes quite a bit longer to process a point-of-interest mission for a simple quantity measurement, and that many images is redundant. As for varying altitudes, it all depends what the ortho will be used for. Higher altitudes cover greater area, but lower offers better GSDs.
Again, my curiosity got the better of me, and I flew the same mission twice, but at different altitudes (one at 50m, the next at 90m), and other than fewer mission legs, not much difference was noticed.

1 Like

we do see diminishing returns with lots of data on a small map @northarrow . We’ve recently released different processing options that trade speed for resolution, which might be useful in a time crunch. That said- lower resolution on the elevation map would mean lower accuracy on volumes.