Camera angle in automated flight

i am switching from a phantom 3p to a phantom 4pv2. i have an issue where my p4 is collecting all photos in dronedeploy with a camera angle of -60 degrees. with my old p3 it woud capture all images with the camera at -90 degrees(nadir). I have looked in both dronedeploy and djigo for a setting that will change this and i am not finding anything that is obvious. can i force the camera to -90 degrees? if so, PLEASE, enlighten me as to how?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! What flight plan are you trying to run? Crosshatch and perimeter default to -60 degrees.

2 Likes

wow thanks for the prompt response! yes. i typically run crosshatch and 3d parimeter. i will run without the 3d parameter and see if that adjusts the issue. i understand that you are saying that this is a default. do you happen to know if it is one that can forced to another setting. thanks again for you insight. very helpfull!

1 Like

Crosshatch is set at 60 degrees as well and removes/replaces the nadir part of the mission. If you download the Auto Flight Modes plug-in from the App Market you can run Crosshatch and set you own angle. I am not sure why this is still “beta” as it has been around for a long time and was essentially replaced by Enhanced 3D, but they forgot some settings so I’m glad it’s still there…

Are you saying that the Enhanced 3D replaced the Auto Flight Crosshatch or both can still be used??

They are both available and I think the “Enhanced” version was meant to replace the Auto Flight, but I seem to get better results from less gimbal pitch.

Michael, DD says “Enhanced 3D is not optimized for large maps” when i enable Enhanced 3D for my 70 hectares land. I still can force DD to enable Crosshatch via Advanced settings even though the warning doesn’t go away. I wonder what camera angle it will use then - please clarify.
I assume 60 deg gives better 3D quality than standard 90 deg, is that right ? I couldn’t find “Auto Flight Modes” app in App/Play stores - can’t this angle be adjusted in DD or DJI Go, if required ?

Are you looking in the DroneDeploy Apps?

I believe the Enhanced 3D Crosshatch is at 60 degrees, but for some reason I thought I remembered seeing the gimble pitch on the telemetry saying 55… Somewhere in that range. With auto-flight you can adjustment the pitch. It depends on the need or shape of the structures, but I think I get better results when I bring it up to 50. The trick is making sure there isn’t any horizon in the background although it seems like they have mitigated some of that problem with the new processing configuration.

1 Like

Thank you for a quick reply! I have found the app. Need to do some field testing now)

1 Like

The one thing it won’t be able to do is use terrain awareness.