Battery changing

Sorry, noob question, but I’ve not seen the answer to this.

During a mapping flight, what is the process for a battery change? Do I trigger the RTH manually, does Drone Deploy trigger it, or do I reply on an auto RTH?

Once the batteries have been changed, how do I rejoin the flight?

1 Like

Good morning from Texas @Yoda, welcome. Personally I don’t trust the DJI RTH when inside of another applications so I always RTH via the button on the DroneDeploy interface. You could use your physical button as well, but I like to stay in the interface if at all possible as that is how it was designed to function.

I usually let the battery get to about 30%, evaluate where it is in the mission and submit RTH when it is as close to me as possible. It will then land, you swap batteries and turn the done back on. I usually wait about 15-30 seconds so the drone can acquire the necessary satellites before submitting to Continue the mission. Sometimes it will give you a notification that GPS is not sufficient and the preflight checklist may fail, but let it run and once GPS is adequate it should pass.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for your help.

2 Likes

same battery rules here: return from farthest mission point with 30%. After completing closest leg point initiate RTH using the RC button (or on app display) at 25% battery. Landing between 20% and 15% battery which gives safe contingency reserve and prolongs battery life.
I prefer manual landings in GPS or Atti mode in order to do at least some of the flying by hand when using the DD app.

2 Likes

I try to keep the battery above 20% if at all possible and always hand catch. Construction sites aren’t very landing friendly.

Since my question, I have run through some tests. I found that if I allowed a landing for batteries, or to allow a 2nd manual run, the images were stitched is a slightly different location (by about 1m), destroying the result.I found the best option for me was to fly a manual run taking as many images as I could.

What equipment do you have?

Are you using GCP’s?

Are you uploading all the images at the same time?

This is common practice for my Live Maps, but not for the processed image.

Could you please explain the best way to safely hand catch a drone? My experiences have never been the same for every attempt. Lol.

Practice makes perfect. RTH, be ready and a firm hand. Once the drone has no downward inertia it shuts down. Wear PPE.

1 Like

I was using my Mavic 2 Pro. In the very poor quality first run, I ran an automated shoot & found the result inadequate. I then ran a manual shoot to try to improve the result.

On my phone, the forum software does not allow me to see your question so please forgive me with the terminology. You asked if I used an xxx this was the first time I had heard of such a thing, but looked it up. No I did not use one. For test shoots I’m not sure it would be viable to employ a surveyor.

GCPs. Ground Control Points. These shouldn’t be affecting what you are describing. Are you suffering this shift in images on the processed map, or just the Live View. If just the Live View, this is normal. I’ve had them 10s of metres away in the past. The processed map has always worked out fine.

The question about GCP’s was merely to confirm that you weren’t using them as suspected. It is usual to see meter+ shifts from map to map without GCP’s, but the other question wasn’t answered. If the images from two different flights (batteries) were uploaded manually as one map then either something went wrong in processing or possibly you took off from a different home point? I am guessing Support needs to look at the result, but if you uploaded each battery as a separate map and they are not lining up then that is to be expected.