Auto land - can not take manual control

Yes, it has been solved. I tried it today on 4 separate flights and all is WELL!!! Thanks Chase.

1 Like

Hiā€¦i am a new user here. In my case i do it two ways if the uav is close I will just flip the switch and fly it in and land. The other is if itā€™s far off and battery hits 30% I press RTH on the controller and in it comes, I then flip the switch and take control once it is overhead.

Doesnā€™t seem to be fixed for me. Flying a P3P with an iPhone XR and once the bird starts for home at the end of a mission your out of luck if you want to take control. Iā€™ve tried it every way you can, ending the mission, flipping the mode, triggering manual mode, nothing works. Especially if it has started to descend.

If you hit RTH there is no way to cancel. Wanted the bird to return to my location. Set it up in DJI to return to the controller. When I hit RTH it went to the old home location 300 yards away. I couldnā€™t cancel RTH, take manual control, nothing. Nada. It was going home come hell or high water. Good thing it was a safe landing zone.

The bird will fight you, especially once it starts to descend. You can guide it around but you canā€™t take complete control. Since it descends slowly you can force altitude but as soon as you stop it continues descending. It is going to land and you canā€™t stop it. And I had plenty of battery, over 70%.

There needs to be a ā€œcancel auto flightā€ button that causes the bird to hover and turns the controls over to the pilot. Donā€™t care if this is DJI or DD. It is a safety issue and needs to be fixed.

If you can not take manual control of your aircraft by switching the flight mode button out of programmed flight, something is wrong with your craft.

Regarding RTH, it sounds like you have a couple things going on. If the craft is in RTH mode and also has triggered low battery, it cannot be canceled, only massaged as you have experienced. If you have plenty of battery and a control signal to the craft, pressing the RTH button should cancel it. If that is not what you are experiencing, something is probably wrong with the craft.

1 Like

I had this same issue flying this morning, never had it in the past.

Typically once DD returns home and starts the vertical landing procedure i take manual control (quicker to drop altitude and make minor adjustments).

DD would allow me to manually control the Drone, however once the drone was about 7 feet off the ground it would not land even without obstructions and kept wanted to gain altitude I assume to complete the automated landing procedure.

Worth noting, in this instance and in the past my MO for doing this was to switch my Mavic Pro to sport mode, this is what I always did in the past to override control of the Drone, maybe something has changed since then? I last flew back in March and prior to that flew 100s of missions this way without issue. Weird, and alittle concerning (I had overhead electricity cables close by).

Luke, youā€™re saying that when you switched to Sport mode, the drone was still locked in autonomous flight mode?
If true, a problem goes beyond any SDK app. As far as I know, it is not possible for the app to have any influence on the craft when not in programmed flight mode.

No, it allowed me to control it and manually bring it in to landā€¦ until I was like 7 feet from the ground and then it refused to drop altitude and kept fighting to gain altitude, not really a pleasant experience when their are overhead cables all around you

I could provide flight logs to a DD representative maybe that can assist them

Strange behavior for sure. The only time the craft will ascend on itā€™s own in non-programmed flight is when climbing for RTH. Strange one there. But, if you had switched out of programmed flight, you took Drone Deploy out of the loop. So you are dealing with just the craft and your controller at that point.

1 Like

Latest update from test flights today

Flying Phantom 3 Pro and running tests on a iPhone XS with the latest DD app. All firmware updated and latest iOS version.

Normal mission, flys and completes as expected

End mission after last way point but before decent starts - bird hovers and waits for commands from controller. Flys as expected from that point on.

Change controller mode after last way point but before decent starts - bird hovers and waits for commands from controller. Flys as expected from that point on.

End Mission AFTER decent starts - bird ignores command and continues decent

Change controller mode AFTER decent starts - bird hovers UNTIL controller is used. Regardless of control given, up/down/left/right - bird begins decent and fights controller commands until landed. Cannot stop decent.

End mission AND change controller mode AFTER decent starts - bird hovers until controls touched. Bird starts decent and fights controller commands. There is no way to stop decent.

Can someone else run similar tests, please? I do not believe this is a malfunction in my bird, as I have no other issues. Would someone test with the the Phantom 4 to see if it behaves the same way, please?

I believe this is a bug that needs to be fixed. It is very disheartening when you are in close quarters and the auto land is off by a few feet and the bird is coming down in tall corn or soybeans. Not worried about damaging the bird, just want to be able to take control under 50 feet and do a precision landing or hand catch.

1 Like

There is definitely something screwy going on when it is landing. I just flew a couple fields today and had an issue with landing. I usually hit RTH on the way home so I can drop the height down on the way and save time/battery by having it at a lower altitude. I have a cover on my truck bed and use that to take off and land my mavic 1&2 drones as they are super low to the ground. As they come back in and start to lower I usually bump the sticks a bit to adjust and line up for a smooth landing on my truck. After the latest update it seems to fight me the whole way down and as soon as I let off the sticks it tries to revert (very quickly) to where it wanted to put it down originally. Just put several huge scratches on my truck as it took off unexpectedly inches above landing and crashed into the side. Iā€™m not super thrilled about that behavior as it is not normal, and also not safe.

1 Like

This is certainly not the behavior we expect, nor want.

It would probably be a good idea to email your flight logs to support@dronedeploy.com to get to the bottom of it. Perhaps in the newer version of the software it is triggering precision landing or something that is carrying over after programmed flight has been cancelled. That would be a new one though. Send them in and see what they say and report back please.

I tested all the same operations you performed where the drone was not releasing control and did not have this problem with the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. Every time I switched out of P-Mode I was able to take control.

Can we also verify that the testing was conducted with battery levels above the threshold set in DJI? I assume so, but didnā€™t see any mention in the debriefings.

Weā€™ll see if we can get some other P4 operators to chime in, but I have a feeling it is a bug that is due to programming being primarily done for the P4P and then tweaked for other aircraft which the P3 may be at the bottom of the list. Mavics are a completely different platform so there may be a clue there as well.

Confirming that I was running fully charged batteries for all my tests.

Perhaps this is particular to the P3P?

1 Like

I am thinking that has at least something to do with it. Same with the Mavics. They have had ongoing issues (other than this) that the P4P hasnā€™t had.

My last flight was using V4.4.2 on 7th June with a MP1. I didnā€™t have a problem landing manually then.

Iā€™m reluctant to update from V4.4.2. So many users having a variety of different problems.

I still have a P3P and I would love to test this for you. But my DD app is now legacy and Iā€™m not updating it because it is before the power-hog update and works perfectly, even on older tablets and with no data connection. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Cā€™mon! Surely you have another device! :laughing:

1 Like

I do have an old nvidia shield but DD 4.x would probably cause it to melt down! :flushed:

1 Like

Haha, actuallyā€¦ There were some reports in the UK, but I donā€™t think DroneDeploy was involved. or was it? :face_with_monocle: