Auto Flights Mode (beta) Terrain

Can someone please tell me there experience with the Terrain option? Does it follow the terrain as per MapPilot keeping a constant elevation off the ground or is it just a constant altitude above the highest point?

It is a constant elevation above the ground. The MSL altitude will adjust to the terrain data it has available, so it will raise and lower keeping a constant AGL altitude above the known ground elevation it is flying over.

Perfect - that is exactly what we are looking for!

I am assuming that with the Phantom 4 Pro restriction on 100 waypoints that this will come into play with flight planning over country that has a lot of changes in elevation.

Does anyone have any field experience of how well the system is working in practice?

Is the Beta terrain feature available to anyone?

I signed up for this beta feature awhile back and never heard anything.

Try add the Auto Flight mode app from the app section.

Although I had access to this before I signed up to the Beta so I’m not sure if it’s the same one tbh.
(I too have heard nothing regarding the beta since i signed up, but i recently read they process applications once a month manually.)

Hi @NewPerspectiveAerial,

We currently have the Auto Flight Modes (DD Labs) - Field, Terrain, Structures, and Crosshatch available for download in our App Market. Please note that since this is a beta app, there is no guarantee that it will or should work without issues.

Cheers,
Christina

What terrain dataset is the terrain following mode based upon? Is it DEM or SRTM data?

Hello guys!

I would like to tell you my experiences so far.

I noticed that the apps inside DroneDeploy only work when there is an internet connection.

When, for some reason, I had to shut down DroneDeploy, when I reopened it, the apps did not show up any more (frustrating). What is the “Auto Flight Modes” app if Terrain mode, for example, is generally used in remote locations where there is no data signal available?

In another attempt after returning on the road in 15 km to get data signal and reactivate the “Auto flight Modes”, Terrain mode did not work. The Mavic Pro continued the flight (planned 30m), but the terrain goes up more than 100m, which made it stop in an obstacle (tree) forcing me to return it by committing the mission (photogrammetry).

Does anyone know an alternative?

Thank you.

You have to use Terrain Awareness mode in Map Pilot. but there aren’t for free.