Are Perimeter 3D and Crosshatch 3D Useful for Orthos?

I’m looking to make 2D orthmosaic maps only (with no 3D) and heard that having these settings checked will increase the detail/accuracy of an orthmosaic. If so, how are these settings useful for orthos? Thank you in advanced

If you run a proper nadir flight oblique images will not make an ortho better unless you have objects that are oddly shaped. As a matter of fact nadir images will clean up rooftop edges and in between verticals that obliques cannot capture so in my opinion for the best 3D model you should do all 3 flight types. For just a good ortho nadir is usually fine. Perimeter is a waste on large sites.

2 Likes

@MichaelL

The default gimbal angle is -90 degrees (straight down) for new 2D/3D maps

I am having trouble capturing trees without leaves

will a -65 degree gimbal angle help this?

2 Likes

It will definitely help but if you want to capture something specific like that I would do an orbit or some manual strafing shots. Normally a standard lawnmower pattern with a 65 to 70° angle captures well enough but if you really need detail and more terrain underneath unfortunately with photogrammetry you need to capture as many angles as you can. I have gone as far as creating a carrying handle for the Phantom 4 that allows me to capture ground images.

@MichaelL thanks for the quick reply

What kind of mission would I choose for that manual flight, do I need to manually trigger each picture?

1 Like

Manual flight for us is when we need some fine detail in areas we can’t see with the drone at 150ft much less 100ft. Underneath canopies and trees close to structures are the first two that come to mind.