App Crash Mid Flight with Newest Version of DD

Is happening to me too, on multi battery flights. P4 pro dronedeploy is running on ipad mini IOS 10.3.3

Hi @damian,

Thanks for swinging by the DroneDeploy Forum. Can you answer a few things for me?

1. When did this issue begin?
  2. Does it occur if you use a different mobile device?
  3. What DroneDeploy and DJI Go app versions are you using? I suggest double-checking to make sure all your apps and software are up to date for good measure.

Weā€™ll start here.

Hi Christina,

1. Have noticed the issue on the last two multi battery flights that I have done, August 14 and August 27. After the first battery change, and continuing mission app will become unresponsive or app window will just close.
    Also when restarting app, I have to log in again. Have been able to fly up to 4 packs general flying with the DJI go app with no issue.
  2. Havent been able to test on another device yet, dont have another iOS device available but I will test it on an android phone within the next few days.
  3. Always the latest version of both apps.

Same problem - latest version DD installed for ipad Mini 2 - app crashes, goes to home screen, but drone continues flying its path. Restarting DD but need to login to get back to screen (challenging when no internet access and very dangerous too I think). No idea if taking photos or not or if true to course or not. Very dangerous! I let it continue and at 20% battery auto initiated RTH. Issue began today first flight since last DD update and with latest firmware on DJI Inspire Pro 1. I donā€™t have any other mobile device to compare with. Occurred about 5 min into a 15 min planned flight. All soft and firm ware up to date.

Hi @damian and @dronexsolutions,

Do you have limited memory available on your iPad minis? If so, I suggest deleting any unused apps as well as clearing the cache in your iPad miniā€™s settings to see if this helps.

Cheers,
Christina

Clearing cache does not help. It is not a function of memory, have been doing this for 2 years now on a clean ipad without this issue. Even tried deleted/reinstalled the app.

Sorry youā€™re seeing the app shut down. Weā€™re working on some improvements for memory and performance that may help you that should be coming in the next release or two.

1 Like

Add me to the list. DD has crashed on me multiple times on many different flights. P4P will continue flying the mission but image collection stops. Iā€™ve also had issues where DD fails to activate the shutter. Sometimes this is a single photo in a string but other times there are 5 -7 photos in a row missing. Iā€™m loosing confidenceā€¦please help to resolve these issues.

Hi @Ryan_Baker,

Iā€™m sorry to hear your experience with DroneDeploy isnā€™t a positive one. Can you verify what DroneDeploy app version youā€™re running and if the issue persists on a different mobile device?

We released a new app version for iOS on September 18 so I encourage you to verify if youā€™re on the latest version.

Cheers,
Christina

still happening hereā€¦

Hi @damian,

Can you verify that the issue persists on a different supported device (mobile or tablet)? Also, which DroneDeploy app version do you have installed?

Cheers,
Christina

I had the same issue whilst flying 2 missions yesterday.
P4 pro
2016 iPad pro 256 mb

Hi @Daniel777,

What DroneDeploy app version do you have installed? Also, is the issue reproducible after rebooting all your devices?

Keep me posted,
Christina

version mobile 2.59.0-2.59.0

reproducible?
How do I know? I flew 2 missions on 17 October 2017 and both had random random images scattered throughout the map area. One mission had a length of flight path imagery missing (maybe 10 in a row)

This makes the whole purpose of imagery gathering for terrain modelling a complete waste of time.
Modelling relies on consistent overlaps in imagery and one would think that DD app sets out to achieve that.

reproducible?
Are you asking me to go for a 200 km drive to the same job site and fly the 2 missions again? Is DD planning to pay for my time and resources to undertake this beta testing of its software?

dont have another device to test at the moment. im on version 2.59.0 of DD on ipad mini 4, ios 11.0.3. have tried clearing cache.

is anyone successfully flying multi battery missions with an ipad mini 4?
would you mind sharing configuration/procedures.

thanks,

Hi @Daniel777,

Iā€™d like to refer to a response Iā€™ve made to another one of your posts:

As a member of this community, you must be respectful of others, whether or not they are an employee. Sharing feedback is helpful, but not if itā€™s attacking others or their opinions. We welcome discourse as long as it is constructive but we will not tolerate any comments that are disrespectful to other folks in this space.

If you donā€™t understand something or find something unhelpful, share why you donā€™t understand, agree, or find it useful. My team, me, and this community are unable to help you if you continually work against us and not with us.

With that being said, you donā€™t need to go out and fly the mission in the same spot. Rather, I wanted to see if the issue persists no matter where you fly.

Cheers,
Christina

is anyone successfully flying multi battery missions with an ipad mini 4?
would you mind sharing configuration/procedures.

thanks,

Damian, I am flying multi battery with ipad Mini 4. I had the aforementioned crashing problems with ipad Mini 2 (on drone deploy and on mapsmadeeasy) that seem to have resolved with ipad Mini 4, and no more choppy video feed, I am very pleased with the mini 4. That said, I have not tested Dronedeploy yet on ipad Mini 4 because mapsmadeeasy was working so well for me since the upgrade.