3D Model into Sketch Up Pro

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience exporting DD 3D models into Sketch Up Pro, I’m talking with an architecture firm currently who spend a lot of time mapping up 3D models from topos in sketch up and larger sites can take a lot of time, so for me to be able to create a 3D model for them whilst creating a boundary survey of the site this will save them a lot of time for them and add no real extra workload for me.

From what I understand so far in Sketch Up Pro, you can import OBJ. Files but the polygonal count will be too high, so there are a few ways in which you can lower the file size whilst not reducing overall quality by much,

I’ve seen a few different ways in which people have accomplished this but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience in this process at all so I can draw up a guide on how to complete it and also I need to know whether or not it becomes harder in anyway for a user to make changes to the 3D model itself after its file size has been reduced, if you can easily make changes as with any other model then that perfect.

I’ve seen a few users say they import an OBJ into Sketch Up Pro which they then export as a COLLADA before re-importing into SU, they then edit the mesh group to soften coplanar edges.

Next they use a paid extension V-RAY (£30 A month) to reduce the overall file size by a 1/3 by creating a proxy of the model but more importantly it massively reduces the polygonal count making the model much easier to work with, does anyone know of any free ways to do this using Sketch Up Pro or other softwares such as Meshlab and or have any experience editing a DD 3D Model in Sketch Up after a process similar to this and find it fairly easy to work with and make changes too such as lowering or flattening out an area of land?

Many thanks,
Kier