Why is resolution of 3D model ~1/10 that of 2D map for perpendicular view?

When I compare the 3D model viewed from straight overhead to that of the 2D map, the resolution seems to 1/10th as much. Why is this? I thought the 2D map was simply the 3D map viewed from straight overhead. Does the 3D model not have as much resolution in order to keep the data size mor reasonable?

Regards,
Terru.
@Christina, @Jeremy, @zach1, @chasemgray, @Nipul

Yes, the resolution of the 3D model has to be downsampled so it can be viewed through the 3d viewer.

@chasemgray,

What is the resolution of the exported 3D model? Same as shown inside DD App?

Can the point cloud be exported?

Regards,
Terry.

Hi @SolarBarn,

The resolution of the 3D export is 2px/in and will be presented in a .obj format. The quality of the 3D model on the browser will be lower than the quality of the .obj export.

Thank you,
@Nipul

Did you miss my point cloud question? Or is the point cloud part of the 3D model with the mesh turned off?

Hi @SolarBarn,

You are able to export a Point Cloud. Below are the instructions,

• Go to a map
  • Select ‘Export’
  • Use the ‘Layer’ drop-down menu and select ‘Point Cloud’
  • Select the ‘File Type’, ‘Map Projection’ and “Resolution” as needed.

These Point Clouds are in a 2D format only.

Thank you,
@Nipul

@Nipul,

Why doesn’t DroneDeploy use 3D Builder, which is part of Windows 10, to display the 3D model. It has much better resolution, uses the same controls for rotation, zooming and moving and is just as fast in these motions. I think it may be a bit slower for the initial load but perhaps this price only has to be paid once in a session.

Here is the 3D Builder view:

And here is the existing DroneDeploy view:

The difference is greater when viewed live. Uploading the pictures degrades both their resolutions compared to that shown on a 4Kdisplay.

Regards,
Terry.

Hi @SolarBarn,

You bring up a great idea. 3D builder allows you to edit, view and print 3D objects. Our proprietary tool uses a different algorithm to render 3D images because there is a stitching process involved.
Some of the big challenges with rendering 3D models from the cloud on a browser is local processing power. While 3D Builder is a locally installed application, it would not work with maps hosted in the cloud.
Most locally installed 3D viewing applications will give you better resolution, very similar to AutoCAD.

Thank you,
@Nipul

Good to know. It does take some time for the 3D model to be exported from the cloud but the results are worth it on occasion.

Keeping DD fast is a good idea too. Still I wonder if there is something in between. The 3D model is so much more impressive in 3D Builder.

Regards,
Terry.

We would also prefer to keep the viewing of the 3d model within the browser to keep it cross platform, viewable on OSX, windows, linux, mobile safari, android, etc.

@chasemgray,

You need to invent a better browser viewer for the 3D model. The quality of data being hidden is heartbreaking.

Regards,
Terry.

This is definitely on our roadmap at some point.