Unlicensed commercial operators

We addressed this same question on the Drone Deploy webinar recently but didn’t get a response then.

We’re more concerned with lost Revenue then we really are as much about safety, with a few exceptions. We’re realistic and truly believe what the FAA has done with sUAS and how they did it was all wrong and largely ineffective.

That aside, we’ve put a page on our website that addresses and educates prospective clients and other visitors on how to hire a drone operator.

http://airplayphoto.com/drones.htm (full site, not mobile).

We’ve confronted 2 illegal operations directly and been approached twice regarding illegal commercial night ops that turned out to be someone else showing another way illegal operators affect our business. As a result we have had to become actively involved in our community in educating everyone has a whole on the do’s and don’ts regarding commercial drone operation and safe drone operation in general. We consider it the added cost of helping build a new industry and only hope that someday it pays off in the future.

I read some place on Part 107 pages that local law enforcement is responsible for cooperating with the FAA for reported violations.
There is one pilot who still advertises his 333 exemption as his qualification in my area, I thought everyone had to switch over to Part 107?
I spent a lot of money to get my 107 approval, there should be a better way. I thought part of the point was to promote safety.
I have been thinking about just calling the Sheriff’s department and asking about it.

333’s are still good until the expiration date on the exemption. Be sure the operator is or has an FAA licensed pilot on site (of manned aircraft! A 107 Remote Pilot doesn’t count). Also note that just having a 333 does not allow that operator to fly without the restrictions a Part 107 operation enjoys. They have far more restrictions than a Part 107!

How so? I never looked too deeply into the 333 since all I needed was a 107. What are the limitations/differences you speak of for a 333 vs a 107?

What should we recommend to realtors or anyone in general to ask for in regards to proof of our legitimacy? Obviously they should ask for our part 107 license information but what else and how should we recommend they record and monitor it all.

@DiamondHead
We send people out with the following:

• Their FAA and Driver’s License
  • A binder that includes a copy of the company liability insurance, mission, etc.
    You should be fine under the Part 107, unless you had specific expectations under the 333 for things that are not allowed under part 107. But remember the 333’s required a licensed pilot (airplane, ballon, etc.) to be the operator. In addition, they usually included a whole lot of restrictive language and cumbersome paperwork.
1 Like

At Davion LLC we also send our pilots out with their FAA/DL license as well as:

• 3 - ring binder with company liability insurance, missions
  • Flight hours for drone, pilot, batteries,
  • Maintenance/safety/risk mitigation manual,
  • Copies of FAA regulations
  • Ensure all are briefed prior to mission to include RPIC, VO, etc.
  • Ensure you have conducted a risk assessment prior to flying.
  • If flying in restricted air space ENSURE you have your required paperwork and have contacted the ACT prior to flight. Just because you have FAA approval to fly in restricted air space it doesn’t mean you have ATC approval. Usually not a problem and they may give you a window of times with inbound/outbound flights depending on how close you are to an airport.
  • The FAA can inspect your operation at any time. Although they are not required to inform you they are coming - they will normally tell you a couple of days ahead of time. BE SURE YOU ARE READY!
1 Like

But what about all the people offering maps and stockpile calculations that are not licenced surveyors?

That would not work here in South Africa anybody that makes a measurement between two points on the earth has to be qualified that also includes the person creating the photogrammetry, in this case DD. Same applies for making agricultural judgements you have to be a certified crop adviser.

But for sure I guess you are passing some of the risk to the client then.