Split map into smaller section

We taken images form sugar cane fields. To safe time we like to capture in one flight multiple field. Is it possible to split a created map into smaller pieces/fields and managed them separately?

Thank you
Arnie

You can crop it and export it as two maps.

Or you could upload just the images for the area you want as separate maps.
You can always use the Upload images button under the plus sign on the lower part of your dashboard to upload/re-upload any images. Just choose Upload Images, name it as you wish and upload as normal. You don’t need to have a flight plan flown to upload.

Gary, @chascoadmin,

It might be good to modify the drone deploy App so it is easier to figure out how to upload pictures without a flown mission. From the forum comments I have seen it is apparent that many users have struggled with this. But this is just from my observations over the past 3 months. So maybe this is already on your list to look at and it is just a matter of time before it gets processed. The DroneDeploy App is pretty nice and this suggestion is just one way to make it better. A + sign is a little too telegraphic for some to decipher and I know you used something more obvious in the past. Maybe there is a way to combine more of the past with the present to make a better future?

Regards,
Terry.

My experience has been that there has been allot of improvement in the last 6-9 months and sometimes it’s not easy to see when you’re on the outside of the curtain. There’s allot of people putting in hours, taking our suggestions and are willing to answer a high volume of questions. I for one think the big plus sign is pretty apparent and one of the first things I would click on since the rest of the interface is so clean.

Yes the DroneDeploy App does many thing well but, being a newer user, I am much closer to feeling the frustration of other new users that cannot parse the App. Perhaps if there was better built in help (like in Rhino) then things would go smoother for new users.

Regards,
Terry.

Huh? I don’t mean to offend, but I am going to be blunt. Of the tens of technology solutions companies that I deal with on a daily basis in our company, DroneDeploy is by far the most responsive and acceptant company. This is a big reason why I chose them for our corporate drone program. Don’t know how to create a new mission? Click the plus sign. How did you create the first one? Need help, click the support life preserver. Even while you are flying you can chat with them or look at the troubleshooting. I would advise on having an observer if you are going to start reading though. Rhino is really good for theory and design, but we are in the business of documenting reality and don’t have hours upon hours to write code to figure out a way to get around another piece of software. You might be retired, but i’m not.

I stand by my statement. Yes I agree that once you know how to do it, it seems like no big deal. I am offering suggestions for improvement not condemnation of the product. Being retired it is true that I do have hours and hours to figure out new and better ways to do things with the excellent DroneDeploy results which I have very positively comment upon in many of my posts. But you should know that Rhino has tens of thousands of users who use it to make a good living so its not just good for theory and design but also as a production tool for countless applications. I edited down my original post in this topic many hours ago to be more functionally focused on an improvement possibility for DroneDeploy. I agree that my original wording was too critical sounding. It is good to see that you have a lot of energy for DroneDeploy.

Regards,
Terry.

Thanks Terry, I appreciate your creativity and I know that Rhino is a popular software, but it is also so versatile for the fact that it is meant to do what other softwares don’t do well. To go to production you have to have design and that’s what it does best is turn theory into design for production. I think that any technology like this needs use before you understand so I don’t want people getting discouraged and giving up because of small roadblocks and challenges. My challenge is to create an enterprise environment that someone who has heard of a smart device can pick up an iPad and consume this content so I am sensitive to that. I have tried several other softwares, help them develop their products and none of them know what we want, but at least at DroneDeploy I feel like I have a voice that is valued instead of just being used as free labor. Kespry, Pix4D, Datumate and Icaros I am talking to you.

@chascoadmin,

You are the best! Thanks for devoting so much positive energy into DroneDeploy. Your many comments and suggestions I find invigorating and spot on. We are both after the same thing; making DroneDeploy the best App for drone applications.

Regards,
Terry.
Away from Oregon home and about to get up at 2 AM tomorrow morning to run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon with my daughter in Orlando Florida with 5:30 AM start time. Hope to finish under 2 hours and be first in my age group (1 yr 10 months shy of 70). Now if we could only have a drone record the event for posterity!

Thanks for that Terry. My name is Michael BTW. Have fun at the run! I have a Disney running story that I must tell you some time. Message me your email so we can continue to collaborate offline and stop hijacking people’s posts. :wink:

Hi SolarBarn and chascoadmin
I appreciate your comments in this post, but I would like to go back to my initial question: Can I split my maps into smaller pieces / fields.
Thank you, Gary, for your suggestion, but this is not really what I was aiming at.
Let me explain my goal a bit further:
The sugar cane fields I am going to monitor in your upcoming research project are mainly small in size – as little as 2 acres (extreme case) but also, our plan is to create testing fields where we plant different types of sugar cane and monitor the performance in relation to fertilizing, water management, pest control and environmental aspects.

It would be unpractical to fly each of the fields separate and upload them as individual fields.
I would like to:

• capture a larger area to minimize capture time, and
  • organize the captured area in individual fields.
    This is possible using Sentera Fieldagent Watch video

Using DroneDeploy it seems I have to separate the images into individual field first or I have to upload the whole set of images multiple times and then crop each set to the individual field boundaries.
Both solutions would be time consuming / resulting in a high amount of upload data.

T overcome this problem I tried:

1. Load a set of images, define the field area smaller than the whole image set – hoping DroneDeploy would only upload the images necessary to create a map form the smaller part. Didn’t work

2. I uploaded a set of images and after the map has been created I used the copy function of a map, hoping this would copy the map so I can then create individual fields out of each copied map. Didn’t work either, the copy function only created a new flight plan based on the map.

I am sure, I am not the first user trying to capture a large area and split it in smaller section.
Is there a function for a workflow like this?

Thanks again
Arnie

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for the additional context here - it’s very helpful for understanding your end goal. Unfortunately, the only functionality or workflow we have to break larger maps into smaller maps is the Cropping tool.

The vast majority of our users are mapping larger areas, so we have not prioritized functionalities for mapping smaller sections. That’s not to say we won’t build out a feature like this, but I encourage you to post your idea to our Feature Requests page. Our Product team is always working on improving the platform based on user feedback and requests. The more votes your idea has, the more likely it will be implemented in the future. :slight_smile:

We’re sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. Let us know if we can help with anything otherwise.

Best,
Stephanie

We fly vineyards, and also then split the maps into separate ‘blocks’.
What I do is;

1. Create a new flight plan of just the smaller section desired with either an imported KML file or by tracing it in DD.
  2. Then I fly the new area using the simulator.
  3. After that the DD app prompts you to upload your images.
  4. Select the whole set of images taken, and DD then selects only the images within the new border (as well as images close by).
    Done, easy peasey!

I also save each of the smaller map borders as KML files for later use. This way you will always have maps with identical boundaries.
Cheers,
CPL

1 Like

Hi CLP
Thank you for your respond.
I tested your workflow and it works, also it is a bit annoying that you have to to the stimulated flight first before you can upload the images.
I going to create a feature request, where you are able to:

• import a large set of images,
  • create a field boundary inside the large image set,
  • DroneDeploy only selects the images needed to create the selected field.
    This way it would be easy to create multiple fields form one large image set.

Thank you again
Arnie