Roof Report image capture?

Which settings are recommended for creating the required imagery to create a Roof Report? New 3D Mode or the Precision 3D House app?

Hi @Philip_Mountain,

I suggest taking a look at our blog: Introducing Roof Report from DroneDeploy for an overview and some tips.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina. Thanks for your advice. Iā€™m still confused. Does Roof report use the already processed imagery? Do I need to capture obliques as well as nadir images?

You take the images however you can and then request the Roof Report through the app inside of that mission. I would suggest the following:

1 nadir of the whole roof
4-6 nadir of sections of the roof closer to the structure
16-32 obliques of the entire structure at 45deg
8-16 obliques closer to the roof.

Make sure that sectional photos overlap.

Thank you Michael. Iā€™m sorry I must have my thicko head on today. Do I process the captured images into a 2D ortho/3D model before clicking on the ā€˜Generateā€™ button in the Roof Report app. Or, do I click on ā€˜Generateā€™ as soon as the aircraft lands after capturing the data? Thanks

I donā€™t get the option when planning the mission (even though I installed for my account and organization), selecting the images or uploading. I just uploaded a sample to see what happens, but I am only seeing the app after processing.

Thank you again for your reply but unfortunately Iā€™m still in the dark regarding the whole process. Christinaā€™s blog link and DDā€™s YouTube videos donā€™t provide full ā€˜dummiesā€™ instructions from start to pressing ā€˜generateā€™. Iā€™ll just have to have a go myself. I suppose the first one is free to try.

1. Plan a normal mission with 3D mode or the House & Roof, Precision 3D Model (available in the app market). Make sure the ā€œ3D Modeā€ includes the normal nadir flight plan.
  2. Fly the mission and then upload to DroneDeploy.
  3. Once the map is done processing, click on the Roof Report app and submit.

I just processed a quick little map and verified that the roof report option appears after processing. I submitted it and apparently you get the first one free so weā€™ll see how it does. I wish I would have known that because I only flew a quick nadir of about 40 images when I would have captured several obliques as wellā€¦ :slight_smile:

Crystal clear now Micheal. Many thanks :relaxed:

2 Likes