No Fly Zones

I’m reconsidering Pix4D and Sitescan again. It seems that in going with the cheapest of option in the field, we got what we paid for.

I am DD Business customer. Nothing cheap about it, especially when you add $49 for every mission flown with GCPs. It adds up fast. Thus far I am satisfied with the output product however this NFZ issue is very concerning…

Important point here. I am using Drone Deploy because no one else has a solution! I have tried every other map piloting software. None of them will fly in a no fly zone. So I am extremely excited that DD is at least working on the problem. I think we need to be patient and they will solve this issue.

I live in the rural southwest where every community is small enough to be entirely included in a no fly zone. I can only imagine the situation along the east coast where there is no area that is available to fly in. I have to hope that this gets resolved or consider closing down this part of my survey operation.

Thanks for your help on this difficult problem,

@Riley_Feez Thanks for reaching out. I do apologize for your experience in the field today. To describe what is happening as far as No Fly Zone: DJI’s SDK is unreliable in that it will not effectively communicate with our app to set waypoints so you can launch your flight. We have been trying to implement a reliable feature that will allow users to fly in No Fly Zones. However, we are experiencing issues with this from the DJI side. We are currently in talks with DJI and they acknowledge this issue with their SDK.

So far, our testing with Android devices has no effect on the DJI SDK. Our testing with iOS devices with DJI SDK is a maybe (please take this lightly) in that it is unreliable and we have had users report they are able to fly and also users reporting that they are not able to fly.

I am working with our engineers to further diagnose this issue but in the meantime, I will feel comfortable saying that this feature will not be fully reliable until DJI’s SDK issue is able to be corrected. This industry is exciting and new and we are always working hard to make features available to our users. Thank you for your patience!

Sounds like a $35 purchase of Litchi sounds pretty good in these situations. The flight plans aren’t automatically created for you so you have to set waypoints, but you can get done what you need to regardless of the lack of FAA digital involvement or DJI.

Well
Trouble is for DJI uavs.
Litchi won’t give any key a it is a DJI SDK limitation.
Not sure DD is able to open the NFZs
But I have a question as DD seems being able to …
Is DD supposely keeping opened red or yellow NFZs or only yellow ones ?
I have a mission next week in a yellow one (recently moved from red by DJI) and I would be happy to fly DD there

There will be official documentation by early next week with NFZ with DroneDeploy. Our app does not directly influence the drone’s ability to fly in restricted areas. Our NFZ authorization feature merely tries to influence the DJI SDK so it will produce waypoints to fly in restricted areas. This unfortuntaley has not been the case and we are reporting unreliability with this.

Until we get word from DJI regarding their authorization lock and SDK, I can be safe to say that flying with DroneDeploy in restricted areas is not guaranteed. Users are more than welcome to try and see if they can bypass DJI’s SDK using our feature flag. Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Export Options in the Pro-Level Plan

That’s strange. What type of restricted zone are you in? I just flew last week and was unable to unlock the restriction in a Class E5. When’s the last time you updated the Flysafe database?

Hi Andrea,

Sam Simmons here. I’m trying to map a festival site at Vinnoy Park in St Petersburg, FL. It’s not allowing me to fly despite unlocking NFZ within DJI.

Could you please help? Last day of the festival so this is a last resort haha :wink:

Thank you!

My account is under: samsimmonsmgmt@gmail.com

Hi @sam_simmons,

I went ahead and enabled the NFZ permission on your DroneDeploy account. Please uninstall and re-install the app to star fresh.

Happy flying!

Best,
Andrea

Something is not adding up here. I can fly the Mavic with DJI with no problems where I wish to map, but the aircraft will not take off when I try to use DD to create that map. I am within a yellow circle, but who isn’t? When you look at the map it seems that EVERYWHERE is within a no fly zone.

Hello @Slinger, thanks for reaching out.

As stated above, the No Fly Zone feature we provide is merely an attempt to manipulate the DJI SDK to allow waypoints to be set in DroneDeploy for flight in a No Fly Zone. Your Mavic may fly in a No Fly Zone in the DJI Go App, but it will not be able to in the DroneDeploy app due to DJI’s SDK not communicating properly with the DroneDeploy app. It is out of our hands. I will enable the No Fly Zone permission flag for you to see if that makes a difference. However, we can not guarantee it will work!

Thanks.

I need this issue resolved. I have a relatively large project in two weeks that has a significant portion in a restricted area. I never imagined that DD wouldn’t work even if I have the DJI geo-fence turned off. I’ve been spending all of my time working to get a COA to send DJI. It looks like I have bigger problems. I need a work around or an alternate solution. I’ll look like an idiot to my client and lose their future business.

Hi @rsprinkle,

I’m really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, DroneDeploy does not have a workaround for the NFZ issue. It is completely dependent on DJI addressing this problem with their Software Development Kit (SDK), which the DroneDeploy app is built on. We understand the need for a solution and we will continue to this concern to regular discussions with our partners at DJI. We do apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations this may cause, and appreciate your understanding.

Best,
Stephanie

I would also Like to get this lifted for me. I don’t want this to hold me up in the process to fly as well. Is there a process as i am 107 qualified.

Regards,
Greg

I’d like my account lifted also please, if it’s not already.

That said, I successfully flew a DD mission within a yellow NFZ yesterday with prior DJI authorisation. Authorised online the day before the flight (3 day ticket), using Mavic and iOS. Got a warning in Go4 after taking off, cleared it, switched to DD and carried on. It is possible I took off in an Enhanced green zone but definitely flew within the yellow based on their map.

@James

Thanks for reaching out. To describe what is happening as far as No Fly Zone: DJI’s SDK is unreliable in that it will not effectively communicate with our app to set waypoints so you can launch your flight. We have been trying to implement a reliable feature that will allow users to fly in No Fly Zones (NFZ restriction feature). However, we are experiencing issues with this from the DJI side. We are currently in talks with DJI and they acknowledge this issue with their SDK.

I am working with our engineers to further diagnose this issue but in the meantime, I will feel comfortable saying that this feature will not be fully reliable until DJI’s SDK issue is able to be corrected. This industry is exciting and new and we are always working hard to make features available to our users. Thank you for your patience!

For all of you that need to operate in areas that contain dji-fencing, a relatively simple solution now is to completely turn off dji-fencing on the aircraft itself. I use a p4p with dji-fencing disabled on the aircraft and am able to operate anywhere.

Both Dji Go and DD have pop-ups that say the flight is restricted, but you just ignore or close them and fly the mission as normal. Of course this is not approved of by DjI, but they have no authority to impose their fencing in the first place.

The procedure can be done for free by any user by following the guides here: http://dji.retroroms.info/
Or, you can pay a small fee to have it done for you by a couple of options.
https://flyflydrones.com/
https://nolimitdronez.com/

I am not affiliated with either of the options. But I can vouch that these developers are legit and their services are solid.

Free yourself forever from that feeling of wondering if dji is going to let you fly your mission or not. :slight_smile:

I fly a P4 and DJI has told me the waypoint feature on the P4 won’t be disabled if the geo-fence is down. They have removed the geo-fence. Will I be able to fly my DD flight plan?