Make map grid with location points and elevation info

I was looking to make a map of a site for a client with 100’x100’ grid lines and then elevations for each point. Is there a way to make grid lines on my map? Once I have the grid lines I can mark each location, add it and then name. Also I would need to generate a PDF with all the points named with elevations. The PDF report Table of Annotations I’ve generated in the past with locations just brings up the name and doesn’t have any information generated. Thanks for any info.

Brent

Hi @Brent,

Thanks for swinging by the DroneDeploy Forum. I’m happy to answer your questions below:

1. At this time, DroneDeploy does not support adding in-browser grid lines to the maps. Sorry about that. You can certainly export your orthomosaic or elevation map as a TIFF file and import it into QGIS, for example, or another GIS platform and generate the grid lines there and export your map with grids as PDF. If you would like to explore QGIS, I invite you to take a look at this Making a Map articles that explains how to create a map in this GIS system.

2. As for the PDF Annotation Report app, in the last couple of days we were experiencing some issues with this specific app but our App Developers Team have corrected this problem and the measurements in the PDF report should be working well now. Please try generating the report on your end one more time and let us know if you are able to see the information.

Have a wonderful day!

Best,
Andrea

1 Like

If you have the capability, create a PNG with points as benchmarks that correspond to objects on the map with the grid the use the overlay tool to bring it into the map and the location annotation to gather your coordinate and elevation. I create a grid in Carlson Civil (AutoCAD) and print (export) it as a PNG. I would also check out QGIS as Andrea recommended. It is free and has allot more capability then I have the time to understand. It is also nice because you can bring in the maps on your State Plane coordinates so you can report information that can be loaded back into most common survey instruments.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you! I’ll dig further into this.

1 Like

Haha, like that! Dig into it with the excavator profile picture… I’ll send you a message for an off-topic question. Cheers!