Large High Res area in 2D only

I am wanting to get a large area in high res 2D to be able to locate pest plants and GPS for contract eradication. 3D is not required but rather a photo stitch ability is what i need. DD won’t let me reduce overlap to a low percentage due to 3D requirement. Any ideas on a work around?

3D should have no real effect on the overlap. Reducing overlaps will compromise the ability to stitch and align the images particularly with homogeneous fields of plants. You will likely need 75/75 or higher overlaps to get good stitching on subject matter like this. This document helps explain what happens when the overlaps get too low. https://support.dronedeploy.com/docs/mapping-varied-elevations-tall-buildings-or-trees

Hi Gary. Yes i see what you mean. What i am trying to get is an area which has to have only 1 photo really if its in focus and high res (P4P) but just enough overlap to stitch it beside the connecting photos and no more. Elevation data etc… is not so important for me but the ability to drop a pin in for GPS is and that might be where i need to still allow for the 3D overlap to calculate that on the image?
What i want as an end result is to be able to desktop around on an image aprox 70 hectares and locate pest plants such as broom or pine trees and drop a pin in them so ground teams can locate and destroy on foot with GPS in amongst other native scrub. The areas are pretty flat and i would rather fly low ie 30m to have the resolution to detect targets in the photos but cover the ground with less overlap as a single image is all i need to identify them. What i have found with test cases flown is with 80% overlap is apart from large file the stitching removes clarity from the single image particularly if a light breeze is moving the scrub which is often the case in these locations. I could id a possible target and then click on the photos used for that location as a work around? Just looking for a better way.

Hi again @Grizz!

As Gary mentioned, it will be very challenging for our stitching engine to process maps at a lower altitude. We may not be able to process a map for you if images are captured at 30m. Generally, a successful map is typically flown at least 47-50m. In your case, flying higher will not compromise your resolution or ability to pin a location for the GPS coordinates. I would recommend flying at 47m with 75/75 overlap (if your subject matter is a homogenous scene). This will ensure that your map processes completely and it will allow you to use our Location tool. The Location tool will also display the individual images that captured at that relative location, so you can perform even deeper ground truthing.

I hope you find this information helpful! Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help advise for a successful mapping experience.

Cheers,
Stephanie

1 Like

Thanks Stephanie, ill give that a go.