Inspire 1 and Phantom 4 out of focus! Ideas?

I just got back from Colorado where I shot for 5 days and 1/2 the time the x5 worked and the other 1/2 was out of focus and had trouble connecting to DD in the field for missions that were previously loaded! Akkk! I got great video with the Inspire/X5 and P4 running the DJI app. Camera setting was to Auto, White Balance to Sunny, Style and Color to None. The real problem was that the blurry out of focus was in consistent and would take great sharp photos and then be out of focus. I sized the mission area to the battery life.

Could this be a battery software? I verified that all firmware for the birds, controllers and apps were up to date.

I had a similar issue on a 3 battery mission last week. Two of the flights had perfect focus, but one of them resulted in completely useless, out of focus images.

Thankfully during the 3 battery mission, the drone didn’t remember where it left off from, so I ended up over flying a lot of the area I needed to cover. I think that’s a separate issue though.

I’ve been having similar problems with my X5 recently. Did you two ever figure out the problem?

Same problem here still - flew a mission yesterday with my X5 15mm, and 3gb of images are all useless. Not too happy, considering it’s a two hour drive back to the site.

Time to find a different app.

@MBlacklin We have been working on to fix focus issues. The P4P has different method for capturing images (not similar to previous drones). Hope to have a fix for this soon.

1 Like

@manu Have you had any luck resolving this? I’d love to use DroneDeploy for my missions, but due to this focus issue, it’s a no go for me at the current time.

1 Like

Like Manu said it’s being worked on. We recently pushed out a lot of huge performance improvements and other features. This work was behind that and it’s getting pushed out soon.

1 Like

Chase, Other than random posts here, is there a way to find out what’s fixed and what isn’t? It seems like a lot to ask of the users, to use their time, energy, and resources wondering if something has been addressed or not. Are users just supposed to “try it and see”? Thanks.

Keeping an eye on release notes on the app stores and in the release notes forum category http://forum.dronedeploy.com/c/new-releases

Noticed the new update still has the note on the X5 focus issue. Is it possible to simply have the X5 default to infinity focus or near to it and not worry about autofocusing? From what I can tell the smallest hyperfocal distance for the default DJI lens is under 25’. Seems like most people will be mapping at greater elevations than that.

Defaulting to infinte focus is what we’re doing but it’s not as easy as just saying set to infinte focus.

Any resolution on this issue? Flew two missions and both out of focus. Waste of time!

Hi @Tom_Stotts,

Can you share a bit more information about your setup?

1. When did this issue begin?
  2. What drone model are you using? What camera?
  3. What is the make and model of your mobile device? What version is it on?
  4. What DJI Go and DroneDeploy app versions do you have? I would double-check the Google Play or iOS App store just to be sure you have the latest versions installed.

Keep me posted,
Christina

When did this issue begin? I am a new user and I have attempted to use DD on two flights. Both flights the photos were blurry.
What drone model are you using? What camera? Inspire 1 x5.
What is the make and model of your mobile device? What version is it on? Fire HD 10 (7th Gen). Fire OS 5.6.0.1
What DJI Go and DroneDeploy app versions do you have? I would double-check the Google Play or iOS App store just to be sure you have the latest versions installed. Dgi Go is 3.1.28 and DD 2.67.0.
The app runs perfectly except for the blurry photos. DGI Go runs perfectly as well.

I swtiched to an Ipad air 2 and now it works perfectly, Thank you,

Hi @Tom_Stotts,

Looks like the culprit was your mobile device. For future reference, here’s a list of our Supported Devices (Mobile and Tablet).

Cheers,
Christina