How does drone deploy know if I'm using my X3 or X5 camera

I’ve used X3 until now, but recently acquired an X5
I don’t see where you change the camera, or inspire model version
I assume drone deploy needs to know to calculate heights, GSD, overlap ratios etc

Hey @Stephen_Noble,

This information should actually be part of the EXIF information attached as meta data for each picture taken.

sorry, I meant for flight planning.
Found elsewhere the X5 needs to fly about 4x higher to get the same GSD so it’s a big difference

@Stephen_Noble

Ahh yes now that is an interesting question… i will have to check, to my knowledge the issue there is really do to the difference in field of view between the X3 and the X5.

It gets even a bit more compicated. Does DD know what lens is on the X5 (or X5S in my case) because that is what changes the field of view.

Being able to select your camera or lens for pre-planning on desktop is coming in the future. When on your phone this should get detected when you connect your drone. At the moment we only support 15mm lens but we are adding more very soon.

Until it is supported, if I figure out my field of view and how much overlap I get at my desired altitude I assume I can just adjust front and sidelap to sort of fool the software. Am I correct in this?

I’d be interested in how to adjust the settings for an X5 using my 25mm lens. If I fly at 100 meters, I get 1.5 cm resolution. Being able to tell DroneDeploy that I am using that lens would help tremendously.

Excellent topic. I want to use DD for precision agriculture purposes, using a M600 Pro and Micasense RedEdge camera.
It has a 47 degree HFOV. The Zenmuse X3, which I used for mapping with my Inspire 1, has a HFOV of 80 degrees, so quite different. @chasemgray you said that you only support 15mm, but the X3 is 20mm. Am I missing something? And are you planning on adding the RedEdge as well? Since manual flight speed adjustment is still not possible (such a pity), I have to “fool” the software, like @MarcelZ said. But then I would also need to know the default speed at a certain altitude. Does anyone have a table for this?

I guess I just answered some of my own questions. My MicaSense camera has an online calculator… where you can put in desired flight speed (10 m/s), altitude and overlap. It then gives you (among other things) the track spacing: in my case 22 meters.

I just created a test mission in DD on my desktop and put in 100 m altitude and default overlap. Using Google Earth, I measured the width of the field and divided it by 22, which gave me the number of tracks. I used this to manipulate the overlap percentage in DD, which needed to be 88%.

I never used the simulation feature before, but I gave it a try just now, and this yielded exactly what I needed: the flight speed. By coincidence, this was the same as what I entered in the MicaSense calculator: 10 m/s. So now the only question remaining (@chasemgray): is this simulation speed the same as the real speed, when you actually fly the mission? Thanks!

You can also adjust the max speed within DroneDeploy. Wouldn’t this be easier?

Then I still won’t know what the actual flying speed is… unless it’s equal to the max speed. Is this the case?

Due to speeding up after corners and wind we can’t make the drone fly a constant speed usually.

I understand that. But all I’m asking is a) if the speed in simulation equals the real speed… and b) if the max speed is equal to the cruising speed.

Nobody who knows this? Maybe @kara?

Or @RemotelyPossible?

Hey @jantheeven,

sorry for the delay been quite busy, i would think the simulation is using the speed that is 1:1 to the real world speed as it is in m/s and the simulation space is most likely based from the real world data. ( i would think that this would get a 1:1 scale, or at least scale it appropriately and proportionally.) Might be a situation where direct testing will give the best and most accurate data set… As @chasemgray mentioned turns will change the speed enough that it may make a difference but for your purpose i would think the change in overlap due to the variance in speed would be minimal and shouldn’t cause a drastic change in the final product.

(running a test and examining the flight logs may give you a better idea to if they trend the same)

Scott

Thanks Scott! Got my answer from DD’s Eric Povero: “Yes - that speed in the red circle reflects the current flying speed of the drone. The max speed is the speed which the drone will not exceed. Like you said - on the long stretches where it is possible to reach that speed.”

1 Like

Will this be fixed in this week’s new release, @chasemgray? It would be even better if you could manualy input the FOV when using a third party camera, so DD can take that into account for overlap.

Hi Jan,

We now support the 12mm and 45mm Olympus lenses for the X5S.

Manual input of FOV is a good feature request, I will add that to the backlog.

Best,
Henry

1 Like