Flight Parameters

Hi DD team,

I flew a flight twice yesterday with different paramaters.

First flight was at 262m, 60% sidelap, 80% frontlap. This resulted in 52 photos being taken and a flight speed of 15m/s.

Second flight of the same area was at 154m, 60% sidelap, 80% frontlap. This resulted in 170 photos being taken and a flight speed of 12m/s.

I have flown the first flight before with an older version of the software and that resulted in 110 photos being taken and a flight speed of 15m/s.

Obviously DD now takes into account the height when determining when to fire the camera.

My question is : can anyone from the team please tell me what determines the speed / when to fire the camera/ number of photos etc so that I have a better understanding of how its calculated ?

My concern is I have a flight that is at 367m and I am worried I wont get enough photos to provide good coverage.

By the way - some positive feedback. Three flights flown on an Ipad and not one issue. Nice !

Regards
Sean

My question is : can anyone from the team please tell me what determines the speed / when to fire the camera/ number of photos etc so that I have a better understanding of how its calculated ?

Altitude, overlap, and the camera properties are all taken into account when calculating the interval that photos are taken. The drone can “see” larger areas the higher it flies, resulting in fewer photos taken to achieve your desired overlap. This image doesn’t directly answer your question, but is a good illustration of the effect of altitude on overlap:

As you can see, the drone’s field of view is reduced as it gets closer to the ground, resulting in reduced overlap. When the terrain is generally flat, the photo interval should be calculated correctly, but you can run into issues with overlap when there are large deviations in the terrain. I would recommend planning your altitude based on the highest point of the mission rather than the takeoff location.

By the way - some positive feedback. Three flights flown on an Ipad and not one issue. Nice !

That’s great to hear, I’m glad it’s working well for you!

1 Like