DD App v2.54.1 crashes on startup

HI Guys,
I’m hoping someone can help me get the DroneDeploy App working on my ASUS Zenpad S 8.0 tablet so I can use it with my DJI Phantom 4 Advanced.

I’ve only just installed the App and was planning on testing it today, but every time I click on it, it crashes saying “unfortunately DroneDeploy has stopped”. I’ve made sure I haven’t got DJI Go running at the same time and have even tried it connected to my RC with the Drone switched on, but there’s no difference.

I know a lot of Phantom pilots use this particular Tablet so I’m scratching my head here… Is it me or is it a bug?

Any help gratefully received!!

Kind regards,
Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

Thanks for swinging by the DroneDeploy forum. Can you verify your that your tablet’s Android version, as well as both the DJI Go and DroneDeploy app versions are up to date?

Keep me posted,
Christina

HI Christina,
Thanks for looking into this most frustrating problem for me…

• Android version is 6.0.1 (Patch level 1 December 2016)
  • Latest version of DJI Go App (v4.1.5)
  • Latest version of Drone Deploy App (v2.54.1 updated 9 Aug 2017)
    Thanks in advance
    Kr
    Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

Have you tested out another mobile device by any chance?

Keep me in the loop,
Christina

HI Christina,
There’s no point… the ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 is what I fly my drone with… It’s very popular with Phantom pilots… Are you telling me I’m the only ZenPad owner with this problem?
Kr
Marcel

Hello again @Marcel_Evans,

I’ve escalated this to the appropriate people on my team and am awaiting their response. Sit tight! I’ll update you as soon as I have a verified answer.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Cheers,
Christina

Trying another mobile device helps determine if the problem is in that particular mobile device or elsewhere. It is a common troubleshooting approach.

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

We have unfortunately identified an issue with an update of the DJI SDK for Android that was pushed on Tuesday that is causing the application to crash. Unfortunately, this issue affects a large number of users who are using the latest version of the DJI Android SDK. DJI is aware of the problem and we are urgently working with them to get a fix tested and released. At the moment there is no expected timeframe for this fix, but we are working diligently to resolve the issue with our partner.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina,
Many thanks for letting me know… Will look out fit an updated version of the app. On Google play. Will there be an announcement made here as well?
Kr,
Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

Yep - an announcement will be made here too. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Christina

My DD app started to crash few days ago also . Mostly when switching from DJI go to DD.
I use Galaxy S7 with 7.0

Hi everyone,

If you’re experiencing this issue, please update your DroneDeploy app to the latest version in the Google Play Store. If you’re still experiencing an in-app crash after updating and rebooting your devices, please post below.

Thanks again,
Christina

Hi Christina,

Updated to the latest version (2.55.3) but there’s no difference to the “crash on startup” behaviour on my Asus Zenpad S 8.0 Android (6.0.1) tablet… Am I one of many with this issue?

Kr

Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

Did you reboot all your devices after updating the app as well?

Keep me posted,
Christina

HI Christina,
Yes of course… I also removed the old app first. I’m starting to despair of ever being able to offer DroneDeploy generated maps to my customers!
Kind regards,
Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

I’ve escalated this issue to other members of my team for investigation. Unfortunately, I do not have a timeline or guarantee of a resolution to share. In the meantime, I suggest trying other mobile devices to see if the issue is isolated to this specific tablet. This will also aid my team in narrowing down the cause of the crash. If the issue persists across multiple mobile devices, then please let me know immediately.

Cheers,
Christina

I believe this is due to that tablet having an Intel processor. I would recommend using a different tablet without an Intel processor.

Hi Christina,

Have loaded your app on a vodaphone smart ultra 6 android phone (v 6.0.1) and it loads without crashing.

But that doesn’t really help me or the many phantom pilots that use the Asus zenpad s 8.

What do you suggest? Is this something that is likely to be fixed in the next week or two, or am I forced to use pix4d? :frowning:

Kind regards,

Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Evans,

I suggest taking a look at our page of Supported Devices (Mobile and Tablet) to see what we officially support and what our recommendations are. If your device is not listed on this page, there’s no guarantee that it will or should work without issue.

Cheers,
Christina