Camera image capture fail, Phantom 3 Standard

Hi everybody,

I think with the last update the problem is solved, (1 week ago - Android)

Anyway, I have solved the problem with the next conection order (For Android - PH3 Pro)

1. Switch on the Phantom
  2. Switch on the RadioStation (Previously trasmitter must be on “F” mode - USB unplugged to the tablet or phone)
  3. Connect USB to your device

Wait a seconds and click Ok to start DD App

Good luck .

The problem is not yet solved, at leas for me. I’m using a P3Adv, with Sumsung Tab S.

Yesterday, I was trying to map a mine site, and as anothers user have described, the drone flys the mission but with no picture taked.

Today I’m going to the site again. I’ll try your method, if it dosn’t work, I am done with Drone Deploy.

I allready purchased the Litch for my android tablet.

Si Same problem, camera pointing front and doesn’t take pictures: iOS 10.3 iPhone 7 and P3S.

I hope someone find (and post) a solution. Thanks.

With iOS 10 the app captures correctly the pictures from a Mavic Pro but the number of picture taken remains always set to 0 during the flight. With Android 6 and with Samsung Note 5 no picture taken at all

There is a new app update for iOS; i try again later and let you know the result.

I have no news on this camera fail problem with DroneDeploy. I have been doing research about other 3rd party apps which are failing with DJI Phantom/Mavic (and other) products. Such as Maps Made Easy (MME) and discussions of failures on Phantom Pilots: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/exif-altitude-data-comes-from-where.111157/

An observation: several user groups are reporting problems with DJI’s methods of calculating altitude of the drone, or elevation above home point. Some are reporting that this has changed with DJI firmware upgrades, ie: DJI has changed the way the drone calculates and then assigns it’s elevation to EXIF data upon each camera exposure. This is data that is used by the 3rd party apps to, for example, calculate the volume of a quantity of material on the ground for company inventory purposes. If the app mis-calculates the volume because the elevation is wrong then the app fails. As users discuss, they look at the EXIF elevation of each photo and see that while the drone was flying at 200 ft, the data says the camera picture was taken at 12 feet or some such; therefore, it cannot calculate correctly.

I know nothing about computer programming but I would think that if I wrote a program to command a drone to fly a mission and its camera to take photos in flight, I would tell the camera NOT to make exposures until reaching a pre-set location and elevation. Now, if DJI changes the way that the drone calculates that: like from GPS to Barometric pressure (or the other way around) , then the camera command program that I just wrote would be messed up and may not activate the picture taking process. Get it?

This is just total speculation on my part; as to why there is such a problem getting the drone camera to work using DD …as well as other 3rd party drone apps. I’m saying DJI has changed the way of calculating elevation and thereby messed up the app. (DD) that activates the camera exposure commands.

If the failure has nothing to do with elevation signals from drone to camera to app. then I would still be at a loss to know what is failing and why. The only solace that I have is that other apps used with DJI are failing, at least some of them are; and users are bewildered just as I am.

Same problem here!
Phantom 3 Advanced
Iphone 5s

downloaded DD this morning, and P3A is on latest update.
Flew the 40+ acre mission with multiple batteries and everything looked like it was working as it should.
I didn’t pay attention to ‘photos captured’ since this was my first time using it and I’m still learning.
When I got home, opened SD card and 0 photos :frowning:

please keep this thread alive until we find out what’s going on!!
Thanks

Such a shame, Leighton. It’s still April 1st here in the USA and we are just as baffled now yesterday in our world as you are today in yours.

We’ll keep the discussion going until the app . is fixed. I just got a new Phantom 3 Pro and don’t even want to start using DroneDeploy with it until I hear that others have had success with DD and I’m not holding my breath for that !

Frank

Hello @chasemgray,

It’s been almost a month since someone from DD reply to this topic. It would be nice to have some news, even if its not the ones we are waiting for.

It seems you guys are not listening to us here.

We are definitely listening to you. The phantom 3 standard is a much less reliable drone due to its wifi connection and it also makes it much harder to test with. Have you tested out the latest release to see if it helps resolve your issue?

Hello guys. I did try the last version on android with p3s and p3a. Both worked OK.

1 Like

This is great news, Carlos ! Did you record enough pictures to make a 3D model ? Have you uploaded that model to Sketchfab or some other sharing service? This is kind of the objective of some of us users; like the model which I posted at the beginning of this thread. I would start using DroneDeploy again if several users here can post models which they have made with the app.

Thanks

Hey everyone,
Good news on my end,

I saw that my Drone Deploy app recently updated on my phone (iphone 5s) so I decided to try it out again and it WORKS!!
It seems DD has fixes some issues, hope it works for everyone else,

-Leighton

Fresh install of latest version, newly upgraded firmware on drone. Flight went great no photos or log. Note 4 Phantom 3 S.
Great Idea if it would work.

I started this thread several weeks ago with the problem that the DroneDeploy app. did work. It did work and I proved that with the basic DJI Phantom 2 Standard and a basic Android phone (Samsung GS5) a pilot could fly a mission using Drone Deploy and could record many pictures and could make a 3D model (as you can see from the first post) of the structure using those photos. Then, the system failed.

Now , some people are saying that the system works again and we all would like to see proof of that because some others are still seeing Drone Deploy fail.

Which is it? Does DD work or fail?

If you claim that it works, then can you please post some data or 3D images here to prove your claim? Please? Otherwise , why should any one else visiting this thread believe that the DD system works ?

Thanks ,
Frank Schmidt, April 15th, 2017

Agreed. It’s hard to believe that it’s fixed until I see something in the release notes about it. The nearest place for me to test it out isn’t close and I’ve been bitten too many times now thinking it would be and it’s not.

After some searching, I found this. Christopher Cox is listed on this page and seems to have recently posted some 3D models on Sketchfab which are labeled with “Dronedeploy”. This is within the past several days. So the system seems to be working for him. He may be based in the Midwest of the USA.

https://sketchfab.com/tags/dronedeploy

I did a few low and slow missions today to capture high resolution imagery on my P3S. Weather was perfect and I was connected to 10+ satellites. The first one that failed has me very frustrated, i had the perfect conditions and waited a couple hours for just the right window of time and sun lighting, having made sure everything was lined up for a successful mission (full battery on all devices, updates current, checked the dronedeploy mission on mobile and desktop to make sure there were no glitches, etc).

Then, on the first mission–the app was glitchy as always–and the following occurred:

1. drone would not take off even though i kept hitting lift-off and OK
  2. suddenly out of nowhere when i’m trying to navigate back to the dashboard to restart, the drone takes off and dronedeploy app says its starting to capture images
  3. the lift-off/start mission button is still unclicked on the touchscreen and dronedeploy app is showing the location but nothing else
    4)when it lands and I exit back to Dashboard it shows no missions as being started/completed or anything to indicate it just logged my data.

Second and third missions took completely black pictures. All 400 of them, all the exact same size and properties. Nothing but pitch black. My 3d model should look great when the DD cloud stitches that together. (rolls eyes)

Waste of my afternoon. And please bare me the “P3S is the least reliable with DD app” response because that is no excuse.

Did you take the lens cap off? :grin:

Haha, yes I did. I wish that was the problem