Abandonment Point on Multi-Battery Missions

Did my first multi-battery mission yesterday and was very disappointed that I had to refly a 1/2 mile of my path to start the 2nd battery. Why can’t the app drop a marker on the path so that it resumes at the abandonment point? I know that you can do the slider to get to a certain waypoint to start a flight, but this ought to be something that is automatic. Gotta save those precious battery minutes.

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

The app should remember the last flown waypoint and start from there, but we don’t currently remember the last point along that path. Is that what you mean? or did we also forget to go back to the right waypoint automatically?

Thanks,

James

It remembered the last waypoint at the end of the pass along the path and started the 2nd battery at the end. Maps Made Easy drops a point along the path and returns to that point to resume, not the waypoint at the start of the leg. In my case, I was flying a 1/2 mile long field and had myself setup halfway down the 1/2 mile field. I did my RTH straight out in front of me to minimize the swap battery distance, or so I thought. When it resumed it went the additional 1/4 mile to the start of the unfinished pass.

1 Like

Thank you Kevin.

Very sensible optimization and makes perfect sense.

I will suggest to the flight team.

Kevin, it was a good idea to wait until the drone was closest so as to save battery. However for now, I recommend you go as far into the mission as you can and when you get to the point you no longer believe you can continue without a battery swap, you should RTH after you pass that closest way point which is generally every turn. You should also wait a second or two after it makes its turn so you are confident that the drone has registrar its most recent way point and won’t refly a leg.

Diamondhead, That’s pretty much what I’m doing now to minimize battery loss. I’m also flying my missions in the direction that puts the battery swap point closest to me when I go for the RTH and swap. I had the same thought about making sure to wait a second or two after the turn so that it’s for sure on the next leg for it to resume. That has been working great for the last 3 or 4 maps I’ve done.

1 Like

I have the same problem. It would be a great thing if the next update, of the DD, could bring this optimization.

1 Like

Hi @DRRF_drrf,

Can you confirm your issue for me? Is your drone not starting off at the last waypoint before returning home for a battery swap?

Thanks,
Christina

I was talking, if the DD could “remember” the last point in the midle of the row, before i swap battery.

1 Like